Friday, September 4, 2009

Getting my feet wet

Starting out down the professional athlete road seems pretty tough from what I've already experienced and from stories that others have told. I have been getting up early every morning to start a list of things to do. Then I get in the Word and read a little and try to devote some time to pray also. After that I end up going for a 20-30 minute run to get my conditioning up before practice actually starts in October. This is something I definitely have to get used to: the blistering Florida sunshine. Around here it usually gets pretty hot right around 10am so I try to start my run before 9:30. This way I won't come back a total sweat towel. I do the runs every other day just to give my legs some recovery time. In between I do my strength days that include about 1,000 crunches and 100 push-ups, which isn't much now. Im just trying to shock the muscles since it has been too long since I have actually worked out. I have to ease back into this thing. I will probably start to increase my intensity as the month goes on so I can keep the muscles in shock and create muscle going into practice.

Since I moved with my family in New Smyrna I've been on the constant run. I have been commuting back and forth to Orlando looking for jobs, going to meetings with my coach or teammates, and trying to get more familiar with the areas. My major task thus far is to get a job. I would prefer one in my field of study (International Business and Finance) but I really just need something to pay the bills. So today I'm heading back to Orlando to put in a few more aps and meet another one of my teammates, Rudy, I believe.

Although I've had some pretty busy days I did find time to relax a little bit yesterday. After I woke up and took my car to the dealer to be serviced I decided to lounge around the house. I ended up going over my aunt Nay's house who lives down the street and chatted it up with her for a while. Now this is my grandmother's sister so she is full of wisdom; I figured I would try to get her to tell me a few history lessons from the family to see if I could grab hold of some of that wisdom. She had a lot going through her head and kept me listening, but in the end didn't say too much. I figured she was pretty tired, so I told her we would talk again sometime as she left to take a nap.

After talking with Aunt Nay I figured I would take a ride down to the beach and get my feet wet. Now we had something like beaches in Michigan, but to see the Atlantic ocean in a tropical enviornment was amazing! The clouds were parted in one section where the sun was shining bright, but the rest of the sky was filled with different sizes and shapes of clouds. I looked far out into the horizon and noticed a boat in the distance, probably a fishing boat. Then I looked down the coast and saw a few people trying to take hold of the waves with their surf boards while they eagerly waited for the perfect one. I just paused to take in the beautiful site. I wish I had a camera to show everyone, but thats another thing Im working on. Since there was no camera I felt the need to tell someone. So I texted one of the coolest and most beautiful young ladies I know from Howard University. I assured her she would love this place. Hopefully she'll come visit sometime!! I stayed awhile then decided I better take it back home and prepare for tomorrow: the job hunt continues

No comments:

Post a Comment