Saturday, September 19, 2009

Football Season

Over the past 3 years I must admit that I have been slippin on the sports updates. I didnt keep up with any college or professional football or basketball teams, which kind of upset me. As much as I wanted to be up until the wee morning hours watching each football game then post-game highlights I had other stuff to do. That other stuff was better known as homework and rest. I guess you could say that not having a TV helped to contribute to this issue too. However, since I have graduated I've been getting back into the football spirit that I once had WAY back in high school when I was known for good field speed and hard hitting (Corner/Strong Safety).

A couple weeks ago I started off watching th opening NFL game featuring the Pittsburg Steelers and Tennessee Titans game. It ended up being pretty enticing with a 3 point win over the Titans. That weekend started college football season hitting hard off the back with games like Miami vs. Florida State and Boise St and Oregon to name a few. After about three full weeks of college football, I have to admit...MIAMI is steadily becoming my favorite team. Of course I always like to see the Buckeyes play at the shoehorn, Wolverines at the Big House, and The USC Trojans, but Hurricane offense led by star Quaterback Jacory Harris is taking over my interest. To be a Sophomore starting quarterback with huge numbers adding to over 500 all purpose yards is amazing. I loved how they came in to Tallahassee and fought right down to the wire to defeat the Seminoles. Since then they haven't looked back. They had some big hits in there next game (including the clean-up hit on one of the kick returns) and are looking stronger every game.

Another HUGE game was the Fresno State Boise State game last night...talk about SERIOUS offense!! There was almost 1000 yards of total offense from both teams. That was one game where each team was OFF TO THE RACES!! Ryan Matthews ended up rushing for 234 yards from the RB position, and for every score that Fresno had it seemed like Boise St's Titus Young had an answer when it came down to the kick returns. With the early lead from an interception (Oskee!) in the 1st quarter Boise jumped out and stayed out. They scored about three times before Fresno got there head in the game. Neither quarterback really stunned me, but Moore from Boise obviously knew what he was doing. He read the defense pretty well, looked very comfortable in the pocket, and was pretty good on passing with 18 of 26 completions. Colburn on the other hand was off to a rocky start when he threw his 5th interception of the SEASON (I know what your thinking, already?) and lost the momentum early in the first. He didn't look very comfortable in the backfield, he held the ball too long on pass plays (which could be attributed to the lockdown DBs on Boise's side), looked very stand offish, and just didn't get into a nice groove until the second half. Fresno's star player Ryan Mathews ran three 60+ yard touchdowns in to keep the game relatively close for a moment before Boise ran off with the game. In the end Fresno State falls to a speedy and determined Boise State 51-34. Great game though!

No comments:

Post a Comment