Friday, April 16, 2010

Training continued

Since the last meet I've been on a steady yet intense training schedule. I haven't been able to work back into the weight room like the weeks prior to our first meet, but we have been able to put in a little work. My intervals have jumped back up and have been really taking it to me! The workout Tuesday showed that Im definitely not out of shape, Im just missing the competition factor.

I had to sprint a total of 2000 meters and faired pretty well. My fitness is well and my speed is alright right now, but we just finished our first week of getting over hurdles. Of course, being the first day back over hurdles I was struggling to find my steps for the 400H and getting my timing back down. Friday was a really technical day on the blocks, but it was exactly what I needed to hear. Apparently, a lot of what I thought I knew about blocks was probably not the best information out there. Since my coach was one of the best starters in the sport it would probably be wise to throw out all the old stuff and input his technique for blockwork. Blocks are one of the most important part of any sprinters race from the 100 to the short hurdles to the 400, and that is something that I'll definitely be focusing on also.

Since I've decided to train for the next two weeks going into the Bahamas meet I won't be running this weekend with the team at Florida. Nonetheless I've been getting a lot of flack from my team about not running. They all said that I was on a good track to drop a much faster time than my 2 early races. They said that sometimes you need to race yourself into shape. I agree with them about running yourself into shape, but I can also get into good shape by the strenuous training Coach Mitchell has been putting me through as well. For me I think one of the reasons I could have done good by racing this weekend is to get a faster time (I was guaranteed to drop) and to elevate my confidence level in the 400 races.

All the more, my choice to train through the next two weeks comes at the news of beginning hurdle practices again. I wanted to be able to seriously take a look at where I am in the hurdles and what I need to focus on without having to back the training off because of a track meet. All in all Im winning either way...choices and results.

No comments:

Post a Comment