Friday, April 9, 2010

Round 2

After a week of training I've made the trip down south to run at the University of Miami tomorrow. Training was a little surprising this week whereby the workouts went back to conditioning aspects. I ended up running some longer workouts and did a good job of staying on pace through them, and feeling pretty well afterwards too. I thought from my performance in the open 400 last week showed that I was out of shape, but my body has said otherwise. I just wasn't physically prepared for that meet. I have a better idea of how to handle this meet, and am expecting MUCH improvement, lol.

Thursday also marked the 2nd day that I've practiced hurdles since being out for several weeks. Im always soo excited to get over some hurdles again. There is just something about them that keeps you on the track, because those of you who have run before KNOW that sometimes track workouts make you want to throw in the towel. Anyways I just did a few 150s over the hurdles at a nice and easy pace to get the body comfortable with the technique again. I can't wait until Im in shape to run the hurdles, Im expecting good things early on.

You know what is also funny is that as a hurdler you are considered one of the most versatile competitors in athletics. Long hurdlers can usually run a decent time in the 800, fast time in the 400, and a decent time in the 200. Short hurdlers are very gifted in the fact that they can run full speed at 10 barriers 42" tall and adjust themselves and their foot speed in between if any circumstancial events occur in the race (ie. someone falls, knocks your hurdle down, spikes you, or my favorite, is throwing bows over top of each hurdles). It is not very uncommon that some hurdles are only good at hurdling! Go figure. Take myself for example; I can run 13 seconds in the 110 hurdles, but can barely break 10.7 in the 100. I have also had a problem in the past with running the open 400. Lets just say that given a chance I between the two 400 races I would choose the hurdles every time. Judging from my race last week there are still a few kinks that Im working out in the open 400, and my teammate reminded me today at the pre-meet warm up today at the track. "Don't have no big entourage (family coming to watch) if you don't plan on running well".

Well to say the least I suppose I'll have to run the race of my life tomorrow. This is the life of an athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment