Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Holidays

A lot of my friends have been asking what are my plans for the holidays, and if Im coming back home (Michigan). As much as I would love to see my brothers, my mom and dad, the rest of my family (Im a big family guy), and all my friends I won't be returning for the holidays this year. Its my first year being away from home, family and the ever so sought after "Winter Wonderland" during Christmas. Instead, I'll be enjoying the sun here in Orlando while working and training.

While my people back home open gifts and spend time with each other I'll be here grinding it out for the pursuit of happiness. Maybe its because Im not heading home, but it doesn't even feel like Christmas down here. Perhaps my Christmas spirit is cluttered from the nostalgic white Christmas evenings lit with the glow of nearly every house's Christmas lights. Here it has been as hot as 82 degrees just recently, each neighborhood is only sprinkled with a few holiday light displays around their houses, and people don't seem to be moved one way or the other. To be honest, I thought it was absolutely hilarious when I saw a palm tree with lights on it. It just looks weird!

Thankfully Christmas isn't about all of the feelings but the greatest gift of all: Jesus. He was born so we could have the option to be set free from sin, sickness, and strife. Im so greatfull for God and the relationships Im building with him each day. Aside from family, presents, and hot cocoa be thankful for the real reason for the season. Hopefully I can find the Christmas spirit between now and next week, but until then I will be working hard, loving others, and thanking God for His Son Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely right! Christmas is not about the gifts you receive but remembering Jesus and his great sacrifice. I'm glad you handled being away from your family well. That must've been a little tough though.

    -Chari

    ReplyDelete