Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Outside the comfort zone

Im consistently making strides towards the future, daily. I have just started my third phase of training which is more of the sprint endurance cycles that I will need to help sustain speed and form in the latter part of my race. I am doing my own separate workouts instead of the same workouts as everyone else with the addition of more sets. My workouts haven't been outrageously difficult though, which means that we are building in the right direction easing into the changes. We have been moving to a lot of pace work while still maintaining my form and correct running mechanics. This is good so I will know what certain times feel like, so as we make the pace faster I will be able to stay on target and know where I am.

We also started hurdling as of yesterday. We didn't do much, but enough to get reacquainted with the motions of hurdling. We did a few drills then went over the top of some 39's. We did them pretty easy and were getting our muscle memory back into hurdle-shape. Some of the guys were surprised that my form was so astounding, but I don't know why. Its not like Im crap, I mean I did compete for 8 years on a national level besting a #3 spot in high school, and cracking the top 50 year in and out of college. But I digress, I still have a lot to work on as far as form, and Im here to learn.

When I was in high school I was killing people on the track left and right and thought my stuff was at least decent. That is until I got to college and noticed that my form was a bit off, to say the least, and we worked on fixing it. After that I had been competitive in much of my races and even nationally, but never made it to the big dance. Now as a professional, Im realizing that at each level things need to changed, and my whole running mechanics is now on the verge of revamp to better fit my race and the type of runner I am.

Instead of running as fast as you can until your dead then finishing with heart, Im learning that you have to run smart and efficient. That means using each step to transfer as much force to the ground as you have allowing you to propel down the track with much less effort. One problem...I need some power, lol. As you can imagine this is not an easy task, and at times if very uncomfortable. Im used to conserving energy by running a certain way when I need to use more energy to conserve more (if that makes sense?).I think the weight room is going to be XTRA key in my development this year. We are doing good exercises that is more sport specific to the areas of our body that will help us with our running mechanics. It seems so simple, but to put everything together properly is a challenge in itself. I was looking at some of the athletes and only when I looked across the track did I realize that the angles we work on, the opening of our "gate" (distance from one foot to the other while running), and really concentrating on squeezing the abs and REALLY driving the arms is what so many pro runners make look easy towards July and August. That doesn't come easy and I am going to have to focus on those key things for my race so by the time the season rolls around Im not going backwards trying to tune up my running mechanics.

Track is a constant mental challenge that forces your body to do what your mind wants. You have to keep the good techniques, throw the bad out, and add on the new material you learn in order for everything to come into play just right, and when you need it most. Those of you who know me and have seen me run in the past may see a totally different DK on the track come spring. Patience in progression and results will be key through this process also. You can't have the world tomorrow or you wouldn't appreciate it...build up from the street, city, state, and country so you know what it takes to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment