Sunday, May 2, 2010

1st Race

Today was my first race in the chosen event of specialization (400H), and it ended in victory. I felt pretty good going into the race today and didn't really have any issues to express, pre-race at least. Was not to thrilled about the time, but again as an opener I was happy with the race consistency.

I would say I had a fairly good reaction to the gun and got out at a decent pace (not fast though). I could use some more aggression on the first 3 hurdles to set the race up speed-wise, but my steps were on all the way until H7. I cruised down the back stretch and set up for the next curve. I did well going in, focusing on my steps but studdered @ hurdle 7 where I started to feel a little fatigue, and I ended up switching legs also. I had my mind made up I would switch at 7, but coming towards it I may have actually been on, which caused the hesitation. I'll have to watch the film to get a verdict on that. After 7 my form broke down over the hurdles and was not where I wanted it, but I managed to go over with my natural leg the rest of the race and finish strong. I didn't feel out of shape or extremely tired so that tells me Im in good shape with MUCH more to burn in the race.

It was about 88 degrees out under the FL sun which was near a 95 temperature on the track. I can't say I felt much wind during the race, but I wasn't really concentrating on that anyways, so who knows. All in all a solid effort with some positive things to take from it, but also a lot of things I can look forward to fixing. Next meet UCF on Thurs. May 6th...This is the life in the hurdle lane

No comments:

Post a Comment