Saturday, October 30, 2010

Track Teams

Hey Bloggers, whats up! First off I would like to apologize for all those looking forward to a post for a few weeks now. I have been really active in taking my body and training, and all that is on top of my part-time work schedule in "the real world". lol. Basically, I've been busy, busy, busy working hard and preparing for the challenges to come.

Even though track isn't a team sport many training groups consider themselves a team due to the facts that you spend a lot of time getting to know each other, each member usually holds some accountability to the person next to them, and when encouragement is needed everyone is right there cheering you on. Since our season's end (August)we have gathered up several other athletes from around the world to add to our roster. I was surprised and pleased to see ALL of the faces from last year plus several new ones.We now have a pretty big training group, which brings both positives and negatives. Before I get into the new team break down lets back up to the first day of practice.

Of course as an athlete the hardest part of your training generally comes at the beginning when you have to put away the nutter bars, cookies, and ice cream only to burn off those delectable treats during conditioning. It usually takes anywhere between 2-3 weeks to get into decent shape where you are able to start working on important things. Our first day was something of a challenge, but went well. We started the week off with three sets of our regular endurance intervals, which was a bit gruesome, but no one fell out (success, lmbo). We normally don't start that intense, but gotta step up for the World Champ year. By the second day we were on to core exercises that KICK MY BUTT! I have never been a big muscle guy and for that I tend to struggle with exercises dealing with brute strength and body weight. That day I really had to put my goals for the season in front of my face and go after it. The next day I can say that with every step it felt like someone was playing bongos on my butt (Talk about Soreness!). It didn't get any better from there on our Wed plyo day (another challenge for ya boy). After struggling to get my limpy noodles to move like actual legs through all of our exercises I could rest, knowing that the next 2 days were down hill. Thursday and Friday were more sprint endurance and wouldn't have been so bad if my legs didn't feel like Egg Drop soup (you know what Im talking about). Nonetheless I didn't slack at all that week and was able to create the correct outcome in my mind and force the body to do it. Like coach says: I hear it, process it, and simply DO it.

I am so greatful for everything I went through last year because I feel that it made me much tougher and I realized how soft (for lack of better words) I was acting when faced with a challenge. I have broken out of that mindset and am much stronger mentally, which will make all the difference this year. It also helps when your teammates are there doing the drills and hurting just like you are, but pushing each other to finish, and finish well.

Overall we have, I think I counted 18, people in our group with 3 of them being new and 4 others who were back and forth about joining the team late last season. Pretty much have 6 new people starting the season of with us, and I feel that they are all good additions to the squad. They are 3 Ameican sprinters (2 male), 2 sprinters from Curacao, and 2 high hurdlers (American male, and female from UK). Everyone is positive, full of energy, and as most track runners are, quite the character. Despite the big group coach has assured me that I, being the only 400 runner, won't be neglected. That was a big issue for me when I was picking my training group and I believe he will honor his word. I know this was a long post, but now you have the very details of the season's start, so holla @cha boy and drop a comment. This is the life of...a Champion!

No comments:

Post a Comment